Forums » Parenting / Fertility

" What do parent's gay and straight tell their children abo

• 5 posts
    February 3, 2011 9:15 PM GMT

Sitting here finishing my homework for my course I'm doing I figured this one would be a good debate for ggn " What do parent's gay and straight tell their children about homosexuality if nothing why not?" Interesting question i thought I've just finished 2 a4 pages on that one question :) xx  

• 0 posts
    February 3, 2011 10:12 PM GMT
    It's a tough one I think and various factors I feel have to be taken into consideration. Like age of the child, the childs ability to understand etc etc.

My eldest is now 18 and now knows but he's only known for the last year.

My youngest doesn't but trust me he ain't blooming stupid lol.

What I do know is if my youngest asked me outright then yes, I would tell him the truth.

What I have done is, say to both of them is that people feel different and if you do like a boy/girl then there's nothing wrong, just do what makes you feel happy.
    • 38 posts
    February 3, 2011 10:21 PM GMT
    My partner's son is nine, and we told him about us after we were together for about a month - our relationship got serious pretty quickly, otherwise we wouldn't have told him. He was great with it, and is very accepting of me. His mother has always been gay-friendly as well, so he sees it as normal and okay.

We plan to have two more kids together in the next several years, and obviously since the kids will have two mommies, they will understand about us.
    • 21 posts
    February 17, 2011 11:42 PM GMT
    I have always been opne wit both my daughters as I feel if you hide it then in fact your as bad as the homophobic people in society that think it's wrong. An old friend of mine I had years back n was the first person I came out to sat both my girls down and said "there are no rules about who you fall in love with, a man can love a woman, a woman can love a man n there are also men who fall in love wit men n women who fall in love wit women. It's somethin deep within you n joins you together wit that person. Your mummy is in love with a woman, but it wouldn't matter who she was in love wit she would never love them in the same way she loves you two and you will always be her babies n she will love you till the day her heart stops beatin" I thanked him because he didn't use sex in any way to describe the union between two people so therefore my girls did not have the stereotypical image of LGBT people thrust upon them. They have always been free to make their own judgements based on the time spent wit the partner I had in my life.
    • 51 posts
    July 1, 2013 9:43 PM BST

My lesbian friends who have children just explain it while explaining about heterosexulaity . .

• July 18, 2013 10:27 PM BST

I never got 'the talk'. I picked up their attitude from their conversation and actions which was that people are different and everyone should be treated with respect no matter what. I even saw that they had gay friends. So when I decided to come out I thought it would be a breeze. You guessed it...it wasn't. p.s. it is all cool now, don't worry.

• 3 posts
    August 26, 2013 3:19 AM BST

My daughter has always known, ive always been open with her about it, i explained about the difference and how everyone is different and some  people like people of the same gender, she has been brought up to understand that all people are different and everyone should be respected no matter what their sexuality.