Forums » DIY tools, Tips & Advice

Digging out concrete?

• 16 posts
    April 19, 2011 9:16 PM BST

First topic in this forum! :P

Now my problem is that I have a polytunnel (you know, one of those things that strawberries are grown in; like a big polythene greenhouse) that I'm dismantling - so I've taken the doors off, sheet off, got all the roof bars (hoops) down, but the side bars are concreted into the ground.

So my question is: what do I use to get the concrete out of the ground? can I dig it out with a shovel, or would a pickaxe be better? I've got 10 patches of concrete (each about 12" sq.) to dig out, so am hoping there's a fairly easy way to do it!

Hope that all makes sense - Thanks in advance for any help!

Lisa x  

• 1333 posts
    April 19, 2011 9:20 PM BST
    would depend how deep down the concrete goes but i cant see ya digging it out with a shovel so im guessing the pic axe :)
    • 16 posts
    April 21, 2011 8:58 PM BST

Well, as far as I remember, the concrete goes down about 8"..........Pickaxe it is then! What's the best technique - should I try to dig the whole block of concrete out (slight flaw in that plan - I won't be able to lift the blocks whole) or would it be better to just attack them with the axe and crack them into smaller pieces? The polytunnel's been up for 6 years so hopefully the concrete will be quite brittle by now.  

This post was edited by LisaHarris at April 21, 2011 9:02 PM BST
  • April 27, 2011 11:26 PM BST
    have you thought about digging around the concrete blocks and then lifting them out? Or maybe you could hire a pneumatic drill but don't forget the gloves and ear protection!
    • 16 posts
    April 30, 2011 1:37 PM BST
    Well in the end I broke them up with the pickaxe, then just lifted them out in pieces. Took a few hours, but I now have a lovely patch of virgin sand (yes, I forgot that I had spread sand under the polytunnel.......) with 10 massive holes and shards of wood and concrete everywhere.

Still, it's a good start, and Thank you very much for all the advice! :D

Lisa x
    • 3 posts
    April 14, 2016 11:34 PM BST

one of my favorite tools is a turning fork. It is similar to a pitch fork but isn't as curved. It works wonders for getting into soil- even if it is hard packed soild and it  loosens soil as you turn it up. I use it to do all my digging- from pulling out weeds to clam digging, I pulled up bulbs without destroying them like you can with a shovel.  Best tool I own besides my miter saw!